Monday, July 04, 2005

dang it! (and an exciting tidbit)

Okay, so I'm the only person that I know that can get a splinter at Target. Yes, really. It hurts when I type letters in the general vicinity of "o," "p," "u," etc. Otto was going to help me remove it since it's on my right hand middle finger, but since it wasn't sore yesterday we figured it would come out on its own and not get infected. Sound logic, one would think. But, no. So today there may be a rather painful operation for me to endure :( This will be operation number four since Thursday. One tick on Thursday, two ticks on Friday and now a splinter. I'm absolutely done with going to the park for lunch. Either that or I'm buying some bug spray.

Also, we bought a grill yesterday. This fancy thermos thing that's half stainless steel--rather extravagant for a charcoal grill. We put it together and realized that it had a rather significant tilt to it. And being the engineers that we are, we broke out the two-foot level and checked it out. I turned the dish-part around (no small feat, mind you) and now it's slightly more level. Yeesh.

We've been trying desperately to clean/get everything put away so that we can have guests, but it's slow going. At least we have some motivation though. Tomorrow our friend Terry Goss and the girl he's dating, CR, are coming over for dinner--I owe him one for helping move the futon in his truck. And no, I did not mistype. Her name is CR too. Same spelling and everything. Fortunately, she has a different middle name and according to Terry, is pretty much nothing like me. Which is good.

So, I've been cleaning, going through boxes, etc. I've found some rather painful reminders (like an email from Derrick to Justin asking him to not date me because Derrick still loved me and he wanted to see me go it alone, or wedding pictures, or pictures of Fred, or things that belonged to my daddy) and some very pleasant things too. One of which was a box full of letters from when I went on Chrysalis. Wowzers. The things you people wrote. About paying attention to the process and quotes from longfellow and fishing with the best bait ever. It made me smile. And cry a little too.

On a lighter note, I have a question. I'm positive that I could just look it up online, but I want to know if any of you actually know the answer--why, oh, why, do legs/arms/feet fall asleep? Is it poor circulation only, or is there something more to it?

Something exciting happened on Friday at lunch. I got a call from the woman I interviewed with for the new job on Monday. She told me that I was one of their final candidates that they were evaluating, and they would be calling my references. She wanted to make sure that she could call the person I listed from Kruger because she thought he was my boss and was worried that he didn't know I was looking for a new job (he's not my boss, he's someone I work with a lot, and he knows I'm looking). Anyhow, that was exciting. As long as they talk to Tom Harris I'm pretty sure I'll get the job. Cross your fingers for me please!

Anyhoo, enjoy the fireworks, folks. If you're watching the ones over the Arkansas river in Tulsa take a picture for me. Hopefully the ones in Durham won't be awful like those ones in Chapel Hill were. Did you know that after I'd been living in NC for like 13 days I went home to my miserable apartment and cried because I missed the fireworks over the river? I still talk about 'em. Last year I didn't even bother to go see fireworks because the ones in '03 had disappointed me so much.

Right, back to cleaning/organizing etc.

2 comments:

Renee B. said...

i think the limbs falling asleep thing has to do with oxygen getting to that part of your body through your blood. so i guess poor circulation would be the answer. or maybe your arms and legs are just tired. :-)

i wish you could be here to go watch the fireworks over the statue of liberty with me!

sadkingjonathan said...

Yes, a lack of oxygen shuts down your nerve endings, making your limb feel numb because it is not receiving any input. The pins and needles effect is your body re-acclamating to the reams of sensory data from your reawakening nerve endings. Poor circulation helps, but it isn't normally the first cause...A blood vessel being restricted usually causes it: you hang your arm over the edge of the bed, and the weight of your arm partially closes the artery running out to your hand, so the blood flow lessens, and voila. Instant stranger. Damn, I'm pedantic.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio