Monday, June 13, 2005

an update.

So, the kickball didn’t happen. At all. It rained.

Instead we ate pizza, drank a lot of beer and some rather potent pina coladas, and played Mexican Trash Train. Which, if you aren’t familiar, is not a derogatory remark, but instead is a game played with dominos.

And by a lot of beer, I mean me personally. We brought over four cases ‘cause we thought there would be 12-14 people drinking beer and no pina coladas, and we thought we’d have the beer while playing kickball, but no such luck. So now I have a fridge with upwards of 50 beers in it. And we even had some on Saturday after the free Better Than Ezra concert (which was only fun ‘cause of the people and the cigar smoking. Boy oh boy I’m glad I don’t recoil in horror at cigars anymore. My nose was not liking those for a while)

So, I don’t understand. I’m a grown-up, right? Or at least well past middle school, correct? As far as you know, wouldn’t you say? I just wanted to check, because one of my other grown-up-and-definitely-past-middle-school friends keeps playing favorites. I’m too old for people to be playing favorites. And I don’t mean being better friends with one person in a group than another, that’s completely reasonable since people have different personalities and all. What I’m referring to is excluding people and making them feel left out. Odd, that’s what I think. I’m glad it’s happened to someone different this time, but I also feel really badly for her.

This weekend I’m going to Savannah with Otto for his birthday, and I’m pumped. We’re going to go on something called the “Creepy Crawl.” It begins at 8pm in downtown Savannah. We’ll be going to three—maybe four—“haunted” bars. And our tour guide is supposedly very knowledgeable about the city. It ends around 1030 usually. I asked Greg, the man in charge of the tours, why they usually only go to three, not four. He said that that’s because by the time they’re done at the third bar, people are usually using the curb as a handrail. Isn’t that a great phrase? I really like it. And this totally sounds like our kind of tour.

I’m sure it sounds like I party hardy a lot. Maybe I do. Hmm. I guess I feel more free to do so when I choose, since I’m no longer constrained by the one who accused me of being an alcoholic. How downright silly that is. Down-right-silly. But I guess I’ll just remember that [s]he who laughs, lasts.

Speaking of laughing. I made these awesome snickerdoodle cookies yesterday, right? From my awesome Magnolia Bakery cookbook. They seemed like they were gonna be de-lish. I even bought new cookie sheets upon which to bake said snickerdoodle cookies. But I was a little overzealous in the ball making, and I ended up with three sheets of semi-irregular snickerdoodle-cookie-bars. I chose to laugh at this, good and hard. I thought for a fraction of a second that I might cry in dismay, but as it turns out, the cookie-bars ain’t so bad. And I needed a good laugh after seeing Closer, which is a movie with well-known actors and a depressing plot. Everyone is so unhappy. They begin unhappy, become unhappier, and end unhappy. How unhappy. And it made me wish I had bright pink hair.

Right.

Anyway.

The shindig is on the 9th of July, and you are all invited. Email me or call to make arrangements. One warning though, if you come there be prepared for me to need some Jessica time on the non-party days, ‘cause she’ll be in town, and she has dibs. But, that’s not to say you couldn’t join us, or that you couldn’t hang around the apartment and the pool… Yay for pools.

One last rambling and I’ll let you off of the hook for reading today now that I finally posted again. A little girl made my day yesterday. We went to the pool, and I sat on the side and read for a while so my sunblock could have ample time to soak in (though I was a good girl and applied it at home) I read about 2 chapters of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and then decided I wanted to get in before the slowly-approaching storm clouds finished approaching. This cute little girl who was probably eight smiled at me and said in amazement “are you getting in?!?” I said “yes,” and she asked if I could swim. I told her that I could, and asked if she could do any tricks in the water. She said “like what?” I said “flips?” She said she couldn’t, could I? I told her that I could, it was easy, and showed her. It’s been years since I’ve done a flip, and it was rather fun, actually. She kept talking to me until her mom told her to “leave that poor lady alone.” It was super cute. Apparently I look like a nice person. Awwww.

Ooh, and I have an interview on the 27th of June with a research institution. I’m excited. It could be much more what I want to do, and I’d like that. Look it up, if you like. It's the Chemical Engineer I position. All about membranes and catalysts and stuff.

to bed, to bed, to bed.

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio